From: Ian Pratt
Sent: Tue 24/08/2004 11:17 PM
To: James Harper
Cc: Ian Pratt; xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] iscsi patch

> iscsi-boot appears to try and bring up the network interface and give it an address and route. unfortunately it says this instead (under an initrd environment):
> iSCSI: error in getting interface name
> : No such device
> iSCSI: Error in bringing up the network interface

Are you sure you're bringing up the network interface before
trying to start iscsi-boot? Put an 'ifconfig eth0' in your
initrd.

(You need to enable CONFIG_IP_PNP if you want to set the ip
address on the command line)

> when I try to run iscsid under initrd it says
> all isc1093350010.49159 >> iscsid[97]: iSCSI session ioctl failed for <snip>, Can not allocate memory: Cannot allocate memory
>
> any ideas? something is obviously different about initrd but i can't put my finger on what. it's starting to drive me crazy!

I'd get strace on your initrd and start both commands under
strace.

Are you sure you've got the scsi, sd and iscsi_sfnet modules all
loaded OK? (stick cat /proc/modules in your initrd).

To make life easy for myself I've often got initrd's working
using bash before switching to nash to save memory. ldd will tell
you what libraries you need to copy across.

Ian