Re: [Xen-devel] system lockup

> I've recently managed to get a 2.6.7 dom0 to boot without any major
> problems.  I had seen the hwclock issues and the nosegfixup issues fly
> by and these seem to be all worked out now.

That's good to hear.

> It seems that once I log into my gnome session, everything is aok for
> the first little while, until eventually I get a segfault pop-up for
> wnck-applet.  I've never seen this segfault before, and am not sure if
> it is xen or 2.6.7 related (I'm still running a 2.6.1 variant).
> However, a few seconds later, whether or not I click the 'ok' in the
> segfault dialog, the machine seems to lock hard.

Is this all in domain 0 or another domain?

Can it be repeated with 2.4, or will your filesystem not boot
with a 2.4 kernel? (BTW: what file system are you using?)

> I've tested this w/ & w/o both a) removing the /lib/tls directory and b)
> the nosegfixup kernel option.

It's useful to know its not a tls issue.

> Has anyone else seen this?  or possibly know of any other cause for this?

Could you hook up a serial console to the machine? If you start
Xen with the appropriate (e.g. 'com1=115200,8n1') option there's
a fair chance that either Xen or more likely, domain 0, will
write some sort of crash message to the console when the machine
locks. A 'debug=y' build of Xen might help.

> A while ago, I tried building the xenolinux-2.6.7-dom0 kernel with a
> pentium II cpu target.  The system appeared to boot up properly, however
> X couldn't start as there seemed to be a mysterious SIGBUS being sent.
> For now, I'm using a PIV build on this PII..

That's very weird. The other way around I could sort of
understand...

xen/linux 2.6.7 hasn't been as well tested as 2.4.26, but it
seems to survive LTP (Linux Test Project) OK.

Ian