Re: [Xen-devel] xen 2.0, networking, bridging, and nfsroot

> On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 05:29:30PM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> > Our current setup(based on 1.0 and 1.2) uses completely diskless machines.
> > They pxeboot, which then runs grub, which then loads xen.  dom0 and domN all
> > do nfsroot, and everything is happy.
> >
> > So, along comes 2.0.  It now uses a normal bridge to connect dom0 and domN.
> > However, the bridge has a hole, where the network does not exist, while it
> > copies the addresses from eth0 to br0, and changes all the routes.
>
> Can you use initramfs to configure the bridge/networking and mount the rootfs?

This should work fine.  I believe using an initramfs is now the
preferred way to setup things like NFS root these days, though
using the in-kernel functions is certainly more convenient.

> My work arround was to add and configure the bridged interface at boot
> time, also i found the script for copying over the IP addresses
> was never reliable especailly when multiple addresses had been added
> to the old interface, and it made no attempt to deal with v6 addresses
> and routing completely breaks.

The script manages to copy multiple IPv4 addresses for me -- I'd
be grateful for a an example of it failing.

Fixing it for IPv6 shouldn't be hard, particularly if you could
post the output of 'ip addr show ethX' and 'ip route list'.

Ian