From: James Harper
Sent: Tue 3/08/2004 11:50 AM
To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] memory error?

I have just noticed this message in my kernel logs, reporting the possibility of an error with my memory. This would go a long way towards explaining the problems i've been having. This particular error is occuring when i'm not running xen so is obviously not something brought on by xen itself.

The strange thing is that the NMI error is always followed by the TLAN: eth0: Adaptor Error = 0x180002, which says to me that either there is something wrong with my network card which is triggering an NMI, or that the NMI triggers an error in that network adapter. The memory itself is ECC memory in a Compaq Proliant 1600, maybe i can access the memory logs...

Either way, what would xen do upon receiving an NMI? Would it spontaneously reboot?

I'm running memtest now, and will run memtest86 once I am back in the office.

James

eth2: Promiscuous mode enabled.
eth2: Promiscuous mode enabled.
br2: port 1(eth2) entering learning state
br2: port 1(eth2) entering forwarding state
br2: topology change detected, propagating
Uhhuh. NMI received. Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
You probably have a hardware problem with your RAM chips
TLAN:  eth0: Adaptor Error = 0x180002
TLAN: eth0: Starting autonegotiation.
TLAN: eth0: Autonegotiation complete.
TLAN: eth0: Link active with AutoNegotiation enabled, at 100Mbps Full-Duplex
TLAN: Partner capability: 10BaseT-HD 10BaseT-FD 100baseTx-HD 100baseTx-FD