Re: [Xen-devel] can't mount root... devfs???

> devfs is alive and well in 2.6. there is a udev(?) scheme i think which
> accomplishes the same sort of thing via a different mechanism, but that is
> about the extent of my knowledge on it and is probably wrong anyway!!!
>
> it is the kernel failing to mount /dev/sda7, not userspace. It also fails if
> I specify root as 0807, so I guess it isn't a devfs issue on dom1. Dom0 also
> is using devfs, /dev/sda7 is a symlink to
> /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target5/lun0/part7, which is in turn of the right major
> and minor number. Would xen be failing to work out the device numbers because
> of the symlink?

I've just done a simple test where I created a normal symlink
pointing to a device node and the control tools followed it fine.

I forget how devfs works, but is the major:minor of
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target5/lun0/part7 08:07 ? If so, I'd have
thought it would just work...

Could you do an experiment with a non devfs dom1 kernel just to
ascertain that the problem is actually with the tools or backend
driver in dom0 (or vice versa)?

Thanks,
Ian