Re: [Xen-devel] can't mount root... devfs???

Turns out devfs is obsolete in 2.6 to be replaced by udev, which is
supposed to be rather nicer to work with. I don't think I'll be trying
to emulate /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target5/lun0/part7 style names with
the Xen backend driver.

As for your DOM0 issue, what do you get if you run
 '/sbin/sfdisk -d /dev/sda' ?

You should get lines of the form:
/dev/sda3 : start= 16948575, size=16836120, Id=83, bootable

Perhaps you are getting the primary devfs names, in which case we can
fix by modifying our matching regexp.

 -- Keir

> devfs is alive and well in 2.6. there is a udev(?) scheme i think which
> accomplishes the same sort of thing via a different mechanism, but that is
> about the extent of my knowledge on it and is probably wrong anyway!!!
>
> it is the kernel failing to mount /dev/sda7, not userspace. It also fails if
> I specify root as 0807, so I guess it isn't a devfs issue on dom1. Dom0 also
> is using devfs, /dev/sda7 is a symlink to
> /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target5/lun0/part7, which is in turn of the right major
> and minor number. Would xen be failing to work out the device numbers because
> of the symlink?
>
> After my next reboot i'll try making /dev/sda7 a proper device node. After
> dom1 crashes and burns, I don't seem to be able to kill it (xm destroy 1), or
> create it again, so I have to reboot. doh.
>
> Also, make menuconfig for xenU flashes an error on the screen but otherwise
> works unless I try to look in SCSI where I get this message:
>
> Menuconfig has encountered a possible error in one of the kernel's
> configuration files and is unable to continue.  Here is the error
> report:
>  Q> scripts/Menuconfig: line 832: MCmenu53: command not found
> Please report this to the maintainer <mec@xxxxxxxxx>.  You may also
> send a problem report to <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.
> Please indicate the kernel version you are trying to configure and
> which menu you were trying to enter when this error occurred.
>
> James

 -=- MIME -=-
--_03EC8C21-3324-4C90-85C6-3C4D454655EF_

devfs is alive and well in 2.6. there is a udev(?) scheme i think which acc=
omplishes the same sort of thing via a different mechanism, but that is abo=
ut the extent of my knowledge on it and is probably wrong anyway!!!

it is the kernel failing to mount /dev/sda7, not userspace. It also fails i=
f I specify root as 0807, so I guess it isn't a devfs issue on dom1. Dom0 a=
lso is using devfs, /dev/sda7 is a symlink to /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target5/=
lun0/part7, which is in turn of the right major and minor number. Would xen=
 be failing to work out the device numbers because of the symlink?

After my next reboot i'll try making /dev/sda7 a proper device node. After =
dom1 crashes and burns, I don't seem to be able to kill it (xm destroy 1), =
or create it again, so I have to reboot. doh.

Also, make menuconfig for xenU flashes an error on the screen but otherwise=
 works unless I try to look in SCSI where I get this message:

Menuconfig has encountered a possible error in one of the kernel's
configuration files and is unable to continue.  Here is the error
report:
 Q> scripts/Menuconfig: line 832: MCmenu53: command not found
Please report this to the maintainer <mec@xxxxxxxxx>.  You may also
send a problem report to <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.
Please indicate the kernel version you are trying to configure and
which menu you were trying to enter when this error occurred.

James

> Domain1 is now not booting anymore, and the boot console tells me it's be=
cause it can't mount /dev/sda7.
>=20
> My config files says sda7 maps to /dev/sda7 eg:
>=20
> disk =3D [ 'phy:sda7,sda7,w' ]
> root =3D "/dev/sda7 ro"
>=20
> My only thought is that maybe devfs is confusing the issue... eg there ar=
e no scsi devices so sda7 doesn't appear in /dev.
>=20
> Can anyone confirm/deny this?

We make no effort to make 'logical' devices appear in devfs --- if
it doesn't happen automatically then code needs to be added to do it
manually.

Is devfs still alive in 2.6, or have they moved to some other scheme?

 -- Keir

--_03EC8C21-3324-4C90-85C6-3C4D454655EF_

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV id=3DidOWAReplyText89384 dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>devfs is alive a=
nd well in 2.6. there is a udev(?) scheme i think which accomplishes the sa=
me sort of thing via a different mechanism, but that is about the extent of=
 my knowledge on it and is probably wrong anyway!!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>it is the kernel failing to moun=
t /dev/sda7, not userspace. It also fails if I specify root as 0807, so I g=
uess it isn't a devfs issue on dom1. Dom0 also is using devfs, /dev/sda7 is=
 a symlink to /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target5/lun0/part7, which is in turn of =
the right major and minor number. Would xen be failing to work out the devi=
ce numbers because of the symlink?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>After my next reboot i'll try ma=
king /dev/sda7 a proper device node. After dom1 crashes and burns, I don't =
seem to be able to kill it (xm destroy 1), or create it again, so I have to=
 reboot. doh.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Also, make menuconfig for xenU f=
lashes an error on the screen but otherwise works unless I try to look in S=
CSI where I get this message:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><BR>Menuconfig has encountered a=
 possible error in one of the kernel's<BR>configuration files and is unable=
 to continue.&nbsp; Here is the error<BR>report:</DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>&nbsp;Q&gt; scripts/Menuconfig: line 832: MCmenu53: command =
not found</DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>Please report this to the maintainer &lt;<A href=3D"mailto:m=
ec@xxxxxxxxx" target=3D_blank>mec@xxxxxxxxx</A>&gt;.&nbsp; You may also<BR>=
send a problem report to &lt;<A href=3D"mailto:linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx=
" target=3D_blank>linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</A>&gt;.</DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>Please indicate the kernel version you are trying to configu=
re and<BR>which menu you were trying to enter when this error occurred.</DI=

<DIV dir=3Dltr></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>James</FONT></DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr><BR>
<HR tabIndex=3D-1>
<FONT face=3DTahoma size=3D2><B>From:</B> Keir Fraser<BR><B>Sent:</B> Wed 3=
0/06/2004 4:43 PM<BR><B>To:</B> James Harper<BR><B>Cc:</B> xen-devel@lists.=
sourceforge.net<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: [Xen-devel] can't mount root... devf=
s???<BR></FONT><BR></DIV>
<DIV><PRE style=3D"WORD-WRAP: break-word">&gt; Domain1 is now not booting a=
nymore, and the boot console tells me it's because it can't mount /dev/sda7=
.
&gt;=20
&gt; My config files says sda7 maps to /dev/sda7 eg:
&gt;=20
&gt; disk =3D [ 'phy:sda7,sda7,w' ]
&gt; root =3D "/dev/sda7 ro"
&gt;=20
&gt; My only thought is that maybe devfs is confusing the issue... eg there=
 are no scsi devices so sda7 doesn't appear in /dev.
&gt;=20
&gt; Can anyone confirm/deny this?

We make no effort to make 'logical' devices appear in devfs --- if
it doesn't happen automatically then code needs to be added to do it
manually.

Is devfs still alive in 2.6, or have they moved to some other scheme?

 -- Keir
</PRE></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--_03EC8C21-3324-4C90-85C6-3C4D454655EF_--