Re: [Xen-devel] issues getting more than 16M ram to be used without oopsing. 1.2 and 1.3-unstable

> Note the "unknown apic" line where it attempts to initialize the ACPI
> hardware. I don't know if this can be a source fo the issue. This mesage
> has given me grief in other systems with similar effects as this until I
> custom compiled a newer 2.6 kernel that supported the APIC natively.
>
> The stock debian 2.4 kernel also seems to have issues with the io APIC.
> This is why I compiled custom 2.6 kernels which found the APIC and used it
> ok. This is also what was leading me to believe that the Via chipset may
> be behaving in a way that Xen isn't expecting and that the Linux 2.4 and
> 2.6 kernels are avoiding triggering.
>
> Maybe Xen pokes around in different ways/areas than the linux kernel did
> and has found some bad ram and/or APIC  flaw that I just never ran into
> with Linux by sheer chance.

Okay, I'll take a look at what changes there have been to IO-APIC and
ACPI code up to Linux 2.4.25 -- certainly the most recent 2.4 kernel
matches your IO-APIC version and doesn't print the 'unexpected
IO-APIC' message.

Perhaps there is some 'quirk' fix that we are missing -- VIA boards
usually need a few of those (the general opinion of VIA boards among
Linux kernel developers is pretty low, I think :-).

 -- Keir