Re: [Xen-devel] issues getting more than 16M ram to be used without oopsing. 1.2 and 1.3-unstable

> First off, I'd like to say that Xen looks very promising.
>
> I have been trying to get xen to run on my machine for the last 4 days
> with only marginal sucess.
>
> I think I am having a hardware compatibility issue. I have tried the
> pre-compiled 1.2 tarball, and the nightly build tarball. Neither will work
> if I attempt to use more than 16MB of ram  (dom0_mem=16384 works,
> dom0_mem=16385 crashes)

I think its best to try and understand this before looking at the
crashes when starting new domains.

Running memtest is a good idea because your stock Debian boot
isn't actually exercising all of memory as its a non HIGHMEM
kernel on a 1GB machine, hence the top 100MB or so never gets
used.

Also, it would be useful to see the full output of Xen/dom0
booting. The memory detection happens early on, and its just
possible that the BIOS table parsing is failing (The Debian linux
kernel grumbles about pages being reserved twice).

Ian