[Xen-devel] Newbie questions

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Jan Rychter <jan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 13:32:29 -0800
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:dyrFBA3daLL5VAZg3eEnZT2Rmxg=
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 02:08:00 +0000

I've just started looking at Xen and I have some questions. These are
all fairly basic, as there is preciously little overview documentation
(most of it seems to be fairly detailed).

First of all, I'm coming from an UML (User-Mode Linux) and VMware
background. I'm using UML for a number of things, and I'm generally
happy with it, except for the performance and lack of suspend/resume
functionality.

My questions:

  -- as I understand, Xen *requires* running a custom kernel, it isn't
     just a user-level application like UML or VMware?

  -- if yes, is it reasonable to expect that a patched (customized for a
     laptop) kernel that includes swsusp2 and encryption (among other
     things) will be able to support Xen?

  -- is Xen at all suitable for the following usage scenario: a laptop
     host, with frequently changing networking, software suspend (via
     swsusp2), Xenolinux without real-world networking
     (e.g. host<->Xenolinux communication only)?

I'd appreciate any advice.

thanks,
--J.