Re: [Xen-devel] Xen/XenoLinux interface versions

> > I just tried to run Xen (updated daily from unstable) with an incompatible
> > version of XenoLinux (I forgot to rebuild the XenoLinux tree). Dom0 just
> > died with no messages (non-debug build). It worked fine once I realized that
> > the interface version had changed, and had to rebuild xenolinux?
> >
> > I know it is sort of chicken, and egg thing, but could you somehow print an
> > error message that says that there is a hypervisor interface version
> > mismatch?
>
> Absolutely.
>
> Christian made the very sensible suggestion that we should pass
> the interface version number in to the domain in one of the
> registers. It could then refuse to run or use a compatibility
> mode. (hopefully the interface version would be sufficiently
> close for it to be able to use HYPERVISOR_console_write to tell
> someone!)
>
> One for the todo list...

Yes. It would be good to get error information from a domain when it
dies. At some point we should probably freeze such domains and notify
DOM0 so that error info (and other useful stuff such as a traceback)
can be picked up. In the nearer term, writing error information to the
'emergency console' would be better than nothing.

 -- Keir