Re: [Xen-devel] debian packages of xen

> > I doubt the '/dev/xvdXX' device nodes are very widely used now
> > that Xen supports exporting disks and partition to arbitrary
> > block devices. I tend to just pick an arbitrary hdX or sdX I know
> > is unused.
> >
> > Do other people use xvdX devices? If not, maybe we should
> > aim to dispense with them and recommend that people just pick
> > some pre-existing /dev entry?
>
> Wouldn't exporting to existing device entries cause problems with userspace
> tools try to use ioctls on those devices, that aren't supported by xen?  I'm
> thinking cds and scsi devices.

Normally, the only time that /dev/xvdXX entries get used is when
temporarily attaching a virtual disk to a domain for the purposes
of making a file system on it and populating its contents before
handing it off to another domain (usually as a hdX or sdX device).

I'd have thought we could have found an existing device to use
that already has /dev entries created in most distributions and
wouldn't cause problems with user space tools (since it wouldn't
be required until after e.g. kudzu has run)

Alternatively, we could just recommend people go for an arbitrary
unused SCSI device e.g. /dev/sddx (the 127th SCSI disk).

Ian