Re: [Xen-devel] xen vs. uml benchmarks

On Sun, 2003-11-16 at 09:22, Peter Surda wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question about the benchmarks published on the Xen website, mainly
> how UML was benchmarked. My point is that the details aren't described
> anywhere, and there are several tricks which dramatically improve UML
> performance, mainly IO-Latency and scheduling.
>
> So, here comes:
> - what was the data, such as rootfs, in reality? was it a raw partition or an
>   ubd or hostfs (or whatever)?
> - was the UML memory saved on tmpfs?
> - was swap used inside the guest, again was it raw or ubd or whatever?

I haven't personally used UML, but it's always good to keep options
open.  Could you provide which you perceive to have the best performance
for each of these that you ask (ie, ubd or hostfs).  I'd like to test
this myself and if you know anything that would improve UML performance
i'd like to include it.

It doesn't look like UML is anywhere near close to providing the QoS of
Xen, but if the server isn't expected to overreach it's limits then
perhaps that isn't a huge problem.

--
Matt Ayres <matta@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
TekTonic