Re: [Xen-devel] Memory question (again)

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Fujita Tomonori <tomof@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:41:47 +0900
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 02:42:34 +0000

Hi,

From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Memory question (again)
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:32:49 +0000

> When the guest Linux boots, it sizes and initialises it's mem_map
> array based on the number of pages that are available to it at
> startup. Thus, it effectively determines the maximum size of
> memory that the domain can ever have (we could in principle use
> the new Linux support for "hot swappable" memory to enable the
> mem_map array to be extended, but we've yet to do this and aren't
> keen).

Linux Hotplug Memory Support project might interest you.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lhms/

If I recall correctly, it handles only highmem. It's very difficult to
"hotswap" the dma and normal zones of memory due to the Linux VM
architecture mapping physical memory to the kernel address space
straightforwardly.

--
tomo