Re: [Xen-devel] New kernel won't boot

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Gregory Newby" <newby@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 14:36:48 -0900
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 23:38:02 +0000

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 11:02:25PM +0000, Ian Pratt wrote:

> > For grub with 'noreboot' it goes through the whole boot
> > process, identifies the SCSI drives and network:
> >
> > Device eth0 opened and ready for use
> > DOM0: Guest OS virtual load address is c0000000
>
> This is a weird one -- we haven't seen anyone else with this problem.
>
> Things are going wrong very early in the dom0 boot process.

If it would help, I can try to capture the earlier
part of the process via serial console....but it's a bit
of a hassle.

> Please could you go into xenolinux-2.4.22/kernel/printk.c and
> "#if 1" the HYPERVISOR_console_write in printk. hopefully this
> will produce a bit more debug output before the xenolinux
> explodes.

I will do this, but won't get to test it until tomorrow.  More:

> > The full grub commands are:
> >
> >         root (hd0,0)
> >         kernel /xenimage.gz dom0_mem=512000 ser_baud=115000 noht
> >         module /xenolinux.gz root=/dev/sda2 ro console=/dev/tty0 DOMID=0
> >
> > As mentioned, /dev/sda2 is ReiserFS.
>
> This looks sane -- the ReiserFS shouldn't make any difference. I
> forget: what happens when you boot a standard default
> configuration. It will obviously fail to mount the reiserfs
> rootfs, but does it get that far?

When I use the image.gz and xenolinux.gz from the CD
(copied to my /boot), the exact same outcome happens
 -- a reboot after "DOM0: Guest OS virtual load address is c0000000"

However, I *can* boot directly from the CD with no problem.  I
didn't experiment much, and never tried to get networking
running, but it seemed like all the hardware was recognized.

> Adding a "console=xenocons0" might generate more debug.

Ok.

> > Also as mentioned, I do not think any of the binaries built
> > during xeno-clone were copied to /bin or /usr/bin.  Maybe these
> > are the missing piece.
>
> You shouldn't need the binaries until you begin starting other
> domains. It's important that you use the xi_* binaries that were
> built with the appropriate Xen version.

Good, that eliminates some possibilities.  Thanks again!
  -- Greg