xense-devel

RE: [Xense-devel] vtpm_managerd locks the TPM

To: "Scarlata, Vincent R" <vincent.r.scarlata@xxxxxxxxx>, "Luke" <secureboot@xxxxxxxxx>, <Xense-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xense-devel] vtpm_managerd locks the TPM
From: "Cihula, Joseph" <joseph.cihula@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 21:34:16 -0700
Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 21:34:46 -0700
Sender: xense-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks to Vinnie for getting into more background on why the vTPM
Manager isn't using a gneral TSS.  This fills-in the background on my
previous answer to this same question:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2007-07/msg00812.html
.

In your (Luke's) original reply to this, you stated that you wanted to:
        My goal is to be able to do all of the following, though no two
need to occur simultaneously
        1) Run vtpm_managerd
        2) create tpm keys in the dom0
        3) create vtpm keys in the domu
and then later that you had gotten 1) and 3) working.

As Vinnie explained, if you have a need for a somewhat privileged domain
to use keys, it would be preferable to do that within a secure domU.

It has long been a goal of the Xen security community to disaggregate
dom0, and in such a case, the vTPM Manager would most likely end up in a
small domain to itself.  So a forward-looking design would be to use a
secure domU for any TPM operations.

Is your intended use something that cannot work in such a model and
requires access to the hardware TPM?

Joe