xense-devel

Re: [Xense-devel] [Q] about vTPM

To: Ronald Perez <ronpz@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xense-devel] [Q] about vTPM
From: Martin Hermanowski <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 15:42:35 +0200
Cc: xense-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 06:42:47 -0700
Sender: xense-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ronald Perez wrote:

> Martin Hermanowski wrote on 06/30/2006 05:10:24 AM:
>
>> So there are two different VTPM implementation at the moment? Are there
>> plans to release the one described in the research report?
>
> Martin,
>
> I think it would be more accurate to say that there are at least two
> different vTPM implementations for Xen (supporting a diversity of vTPM
> implementations was one of the design points from the beginning).

OK

> While the vTPM implementation described in the IBM research report is
> not available (at least not as open source), we have discussed releasing
> in the past. However, we currently have no plans to do so. We feel that
> version supported by Intel, based on an existing open source TPM
> emulator, should be made adequate for most purposes. If you feel
> differently, please let us know.

One thing that surprised me after reading the report was, that the
current vTPM implementation in xen-testing did not do any measurements
to PCRs, and that it seems like the vTPM is created when the tpm-xen
module is loaded in DomU, and not when the DomU is created.

If I understood the vTPM architecture correctly, this is not
implementation specific (this is only the vtpm_managerd part, right?),
but a Xen issue.

I will try to switch to xen-unstable, to have the latest vTPM
development that's available.

Thanks,
Martin

--