xense-devel

RE: [Xense-devel] questions about isolation model and GVTPM

To: <jackyhuangq@xxxxxxxx>, <xense-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xense-devel] questions about isolation model and GVTPM
From: "Scarlata, Vincent R" <vincent.r.scarlata@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 11:54:54 -0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 09 May 2006 11:56:32 -0700
Sender: xense-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The isolation of the VTPM architecture comes from the domain isolation that Xen provides. In the optional compile mode, further isolation between VTPM instances is also provided by Xen’s domain isolation. The shared memory driver is simply referring to the fact that the TPM FE/BE driver uses a shared page (as most FE/BE pairs do) in order to transmit the TPM command from the guest to the domain with the VTPM manager.

I think there is a little bit of confusion on the GVTPM. Generalized VTPM is the VTPM framework, but it realizes that the architecture doesn’t need to be limited to TPM functionality. It can be generalized to create virtual secure coprocessors for nearly any function. However in the context of TCG or current Xen implementation we are talking strictly about VTPMs and no other use of the framework.

TCG’s opinion about VTPMs is that there are a couple of condoned proposals for ways to provide trustworthy VTPMs, and TCG members are not discounting virtual environments in their work. IBM and Intel both are working in TCG to make sure that our industry efforts and TCG work are complimentary and not opposing.

Unfortunately, we do not have any public documentation on VTPM at this time beyond presentations; however, I can answer any questions you have over email directly.

-Vinnie Scarlata

Trusted Platform Lab

System Technology Lab, CTG

Intel Corporation