xense-devel

Re: [Xense-devel] Xen memory management

To: xense-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, mkang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xense-devel] Xen memory management
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 01:15:24 +0000
Delivery-date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 01:20:13 +0000
Sender: xense-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> When the virtualized hardware (VT-x or Pacifica) is available, I assume
> that there is no more need for sharing a single table for memory management
> because guest OSs will not know there is such table exists. Is there any
> documentation that explains how to manage memory when virtualized hardware
> is used?

There's no documentation to explain it but you might find some mailing list
posts if you search around the archives a little.

Full virtualisation implies using shadow page tables.  The guest isn't allowed
to manage the pagetables the hardware uses anymore.  Instead, the hypervisor
is responsible for monitoring the pagetables the guest tries to install,
translating the addresses in them and installing a real pagetable that will
produce the behaviour expected by the guest.  This task is complicated by a
number of things: it's necessary to trap guest attempts to write directly to
its own pagetables, and it's necessary to propagate accessed and dirty bits
back to the guest pagetables from the host pagetables.

HTH,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!