[Xen-users] XCP 1.1 Management VLAN

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] XCP 1.1 Management VLAN
From: "Brett Westover" <bwestover@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 16:38:50 -0800
Delivery-date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 16:40:16 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
My servers have 2 NICs each. My plan is to connect one NIC each to
the LAN and one NIC each to a dedicated SAN.

My LAN is segmented into VLANs, so I would hook each LAN NIC into
a port tagged for each VLAN I want the guests to be able to access.

Then the Management interface would need to be on one of those VLANs
but so far as I can tell it doesn't support that natively.

I plan to host VMs that will participate in the same VLAN as the
management interface of XCP.

I was able to create a vlan network like this:
# xe network-create name-label=MGT name-description=Management VLAN

then a VLAN interface with this command:
# xe vlan-create vlan=100 pif-uuid=<uuid of the physical nic> network-
uuid=<uuid of MGT network>

Then I used 'xsconsole' to change the management interface to this
new network.

It works up to a point. I can manage the host on VLAN 100, and I can
spin up a VM and attach it to that same VLAN. Everybody can talk to
each other.

The problem is when I try to join the servers together in a pool. I
get an error stating that the management interface cannot be on a VLAN.

Is there a good reason for that restriction? What are my alternatives?

Brett Westover