[Xen-users] RE: Xen-users Digest, Vol 81, Issue 28

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] RE: Xen-users Digest, Vol 81, Issue 28
From: <ray@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 05:27:49 -0700
Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 04:29:26 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, November 14, 2011 4:51 am
To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 08:04:11 +0100
From: Simon Hobson <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] New Install Plan Help - NIC Requirements
To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>They both have a single on-board Ethernet port. I am wondering
>about the possibility/need to have a 2-port plug-in NIC. A scenario
>is to have a domU Windows or Linux SVN/Apache/PostgreSQL VM and
>interact with it through another domU Windows or Linus VM. I also
>may want to remote in from the Internet or a Windows remote desktop
>through a domU Windows VM.

None of that needs more than one NIC.

Imagine if any bridge(s) you set up to connect guests to are
switches, and each guest is a real machine - do you *need* more than
one connection to the rest of your network for everything to work ? A
fairly typical setup (at least to start with) is to create one bridge
in your host, connect one external NIC to it, and connect all your
guests to it. Then all your guests appear to be on one network - just
as though they were physical machines plugged into one switch.

Even if you want multiple networks (eg for a DMZ, office internal
network, public wireless, etc) then these can still be done with one
NIC and VLANs if you have a VLAN capable switch. On the other hand,
it can be easier to manage and setup to use separate NICs for each
separate network.

Really, it's a case of working what your needs are, and then
addressing them. There isn't a right or wrong way (though some are
better or worse than others), just an optimal way for your
requirements.
--
Simon Hobson

Thank you for your efforts in producing the detailed explanaition.  That
is just what I was looking for.  It sounds like there is an underlying
technology behind all the VMs bridged to a NIC.  Can you suggest some
search phrases or specific links that might help me learn more about
this?

ray