Re: [Xen-users] Re: Fully-Virtualized XEN domU not Booting over iSCSI

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 11:27 PM, Phillip Nkubito <phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for the pointer Fajar...I got engrossed in the problem and
> neglected important details.
>
> 1.Im guessing LVM on domO.(Newbie alert!) I installed the PV domU disks
> through a network tree install, on hosts' local storage first and then
> moved the image to the shared iscsi storage.(probably a hard way to do it
> but made sense at the time).
>
> 2. I used a cp command to move from local to shared storage.

Your answers conflict with each other. If the domU originally uses an
LV on local storage, then you'd usually copy it using dd (or similar),
not cp. Or did you perhaps mount both the domU storage and remote
iscsi disk on dom0, and copy the CONTENTS (not the disk itself)
manually? That won't work.

I'd take your word for it though and believe that (somehow) you manage
to copy an LV and turn it into a file (.img) on remote server.

> 3. The domU images are exported as type=fileio

xen doesn't really care about this bit of information. It's specific
to the iscsi server you're using.

> and I notice in my domU
> config files the disk parameter is indeed a phy:/

If you've already imported the iscsi disks on dom0, and can see it as
"normal" disks on dom0 (e.g. /dev/sdc), then it should work.

> All the PV domUs are CentOS 5.6/7 and are working fine on shared storage
> but the HVM guests (turnkey appliances and Windows) cannot boot with the
> below mentioned error.

The iscsi server might change the disk geometry. Try booting the domU
with systemrescued and use ntfsreloc (or is it relocntfs?) on the
partition containing windows. Not sure what happened to your
appliances though. One possible cause: your copy process is simply
wrong.

--
Fajar