[Xen-users] Blktap in mainline kernel 3.x

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Blktap in mainline kernel 3.x
From: João Paulo <jtpaulo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 11:14:55 +0000
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 04:16:34 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi guys,

I am using blktap for implementing a custom disk device for XEN DomUs. I was
using a previous version of Ubuntu that I need to upgrade to version 11.10.  If
i understood correctly, the blktap kernel module is not present in the mainline
kernel 3.x. So my questions are:

Can I get blktap/blktap2 working on ubuntu 11.10? If yes, can you point me the
procedure?

I saw that project Kronos is aiming at a blktap dkms module for debian/ubuntu
http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2011/07/22/project-kronos/ . However, i tried it
in a AMD64 bit distribution and the module was deployed correctly but blktap is
still not working.

Is there any other linux distro, or alternative better than Ubuntu 11.10 for my
objectives?

Finally, is there a better alternative for implementing custom I/O disk drivers
for VMs instead of the blktap mechanism? I have not looked deeply to HVM-XEN
and Qemu, would this solution be less painful?

Thanks for your help,

Kind Regards,

João Paulo