Re: [Xen-users] kernel module responsible for a graceful shutdown in a H

To: Florian Heigl <florian.heigl@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] kernel module responsible for a graceful shutdown in a HVM guest
From: Bart Coninckx <bart.coninckx@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 10:37:22 +0100
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 02:38:41 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 11/01/11 02:36, Florian Heigl wrote:
Hi,

2011/10/31 Bart Coninckx<bart.coninckx@xxxxxxxxxx>:
Any other ideas besides the suggestion of this helpful sir?

Fix the pacemaker OCF script from Pacemaker to use the triggers for
HVM domU and commit it back to the OCF people.
This will help everyone.

Even "grownup" cluster software like Veritas will not come with
ressource agents that do this out correctly of the box.

Florian

OK, I tested this by creating a new RA with the "xm shutdown $dom" command in xen_domain_stop replaced by "xm trigger $dom power".
This works flawlessly provided you have acpid running in the DomU.

In order for a commit to the OCF people to be useful, I need to test a couple more things:

1. will this work too with Windows DomUs (to be tested)
2. can the RA detect before a shutdown that this is a HVM guest and then change the shutdown behaviour 3. most importantly: can the RA script check that there is a acpi daemon listening for accepting these shutdown requests. If not the stop will fail, triggering unwanted behaviour.

I hope to be able to dedicate some time to this in order to commit something sensible. In the meantime I just copy the RA script.
If anyone has ideas for 3. , most welcome,

B.