Re: [Xen-users] newbie question

bofh wrote:

I want to create my VMs to use one (or more) of the four interfaces

a)  non-routed self contained class C (192.168.100.0/24)
b)  non-routed self contained class C (192.168.200.0/24)
c)  natted interface to eth0 (so that I can "hide" behind a NAT)
d)  bridged interface to eth0 (so that I can pick up a live IP off the wire)

So d) sounds like I just create a bridge, and point my VMs to the
bridge.  OK, easy enough.

Ditto a and b - just create extra bridges for them.

For c, you can run a DomU that does the routing/filtering function between d and a/b. That's what I have at home, a DomU takes the place of the traditional little white box - except that the outside is now a PPPoE interface, it used to be a dedicated NIC using pciback.hide etc.

 >> 6)  I have 16Gigs of ram, should I really limit dom0's ram to 2G or
 4G?

 Probably less. Apparently various tables are sized at boot time according to
 total RAM. So limiting RAM to what is actually needed results in these
 tables being sized accordingly. Besides, it avoids resizing Dom0 memory
 every time you start/stop a guest.

Since this is my laptop, I'm thinking of using dom0 for my primary
desktop too :P :P :P :P

That's different then. No need to limit RAM and whatever you aren't using for guests will be available for you.

 > PS - BOFH ? Surely an imposter.

Hmm, what was your email address again?

But my **name** is Simon ;-)

--