Re: [Xen-users] Xen in Xen

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen in Xen
From: Alexandre Chapellon <a.chapellon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 13:15:56 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 04:17:32 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If i remember well, nested virutalisation is possible but only for paravirtualised guests inside HVM guests.

The FAQ seems to agree:
http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/XenFaq2#head-51dcb6d653d7a1f52f9daca6f4dabc48f2e4d9f8

So for now you can't run windows guest in HVM guest (for exmaple).

Nested HVM guests once was in the features request list of Xen 4.1 (presented as a convenient feature to learn VM management, nothing else.). AFAICT it has not been released.
IMHO, running a cloud this way would not be either efficient nor reliable.

Regards