Re: [Xen-users] Should VMs' IP addresses be on the same subnet as the Do

gregk.xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

 > Unless your internet connection is
 rated in gigabits *and* you use it, then it's not going to be an
 issue for your mail server !

My external-internet connection isn't THAT heavily used.  But I do hope
to have a FileServer (NFS4 maybe) for my LAN and my VMs serving from my
Xen box.  I haven't figured out if I should do that at Dom0 or in
another VM yet.  Anyway, that means the ethernet connection between the
Xen box and my LAN may be pretty heavily used.

Does THAT make a difference ?

Nope, not really as I'm assuming it's for a home setup. I doubt you'll be that bothered if a file takes 12 seconds to copy instead of 8. If you were *that* worried about performance then you'd almost certainly be looking at a dedicated (bare metal) box for the server. Don't forget that block device access also goes through Dom0, not just the network.

 > Now, given that you have 5 public IPs available ...

Yeah, I'd thought about that a bit. And, I've got a VLAN-capabable
switch sitting on my shelf here that I've been staring at wondering what
to do with.

I put that off for now, trying to KISS at the start of this.

KISS is good.

FYI - my plan would be :
1 VLAN for LAN
1 VLAN for outside (ie modem and PPPoE)
1 VLAN for public wireless
and add an access point that supports multiple SSIDs on separate VLANs (which is actually quite common)

Set a switch port to trunked mode, and trunk all those into your single NIC on teh host, and configure bridges for each VLAN. Connect interface(s) to DomUs as required. If using an external firewall/router, you'd need to trunk the relevant ports to that instead of/as well as Dom0 - eg Dom0 wouldn't need direct access to the modem.

Right now I'm on ATT DSL, which is PPPoE.  I put the modem in a passive
bridge mode, and am handling the PPPoE on the Firewall+Router.

Certainly for Linux based devices, you can use the same IP/subnet mask on the internal side as the outside with that configuration. Then you can NAT your LAN to the gateway IP, and let other devices have direct public IPs. Not something I've actually setup myself as so far I've either had a single IP or not been using NAT.

--
Simon Hobson