Re: [Xen-users] New to Xen: safety concerns (Linux Dom0, Windows DomU)

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 11:42 AM, Chris Angelico <rosuav@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I'd actually recommend you do something like
>> - use windows as native OS
> I'd rather not, but it's an option. Tried it last night; for some
> reason, the XP installer is bombing.

XP? With 8G memory? :P

I'd use 64bit W7 instead if going Virtualbox route. Even with extra
memory use you should still be able to use 5GB or so for guests.

> Also, I feel rather "dirty"
> installing real Windows....

I'd simply use the right tools for the right job. You needed Windows
gaming, and AFAIK "real" Windows is the only clean, stable, supported
way to get it.

>> - install virtualbox
> That's what I currently am using. VirtualBox is great for most things,
> but I'm having trouble with games, and I suspect it's because the
> virtualized video card is not suitable for all of DirectX.

Yes, which is why I suggested use native Windows and use virtualbox
for Linux and other guests.

>> - setup guests as needed
>> - use firewall on windows side to block all traffic TO windows, but
>> allow everything to guests
>
> Not sure what you mean here. Can you elaborate please?

It's optional really. Basically if you limit incoming traffic to
Windows you'll have less vulnerable to remote attacks. Of course it
could work just fine even without it.

Another option to network setup is using bridge with dummy address.
IIRC you could have a bridge with TAP32 (virtual) adapters and real
NICs, and setup virtualbox to bridge on that interface. On
public-facing interface, use static dummy IP address on Windows side,
and use real public IP address on Linux guest. Setup the linux guest
to act as firewall/NAT for windows (and other hosts that needs it).

--
Fajar