Re: [Xen-users] correct steps to add XEN bridge to Debian squeeze?

To: Christian Motschke <christian@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] correct steps to add XEN bridge to Debian squeeze?
From: Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 15:45:29 +0200
Cc: xen-users User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 06:47:07 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Christian Motschke
<christian@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 08.09.2011 um 15:15 schrieb Rudi Ahlers:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 2:06 PM, Christian Motschke
>> <christian@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Do you have libvirt-bin installed?
>>> Is there the xenbr0 configured (maybe in
>>> /etc/libvirt/qemu/networks/default.xml)?
>>> If yes, the bridge will be created on system startup from libvirt???
>>>
>>> Regards.
>>> Christian
>>>

>> Hi Christian,
>>
>> libvirt-bin wasn't installed, and I didn't know I should have installed it.
>>
>> so I just installed it but how do I get xenbr0 up?
> If you have defined bridges in /etc/libvirt/qemu and a link from
> /etc/libvirt/qemu/autostart to the definition exists, than the bridges will
> be set up with /etc/init.d/libvirt-bin.
> But I would not suggest to create your bridges with libvirt.
>
> You do not need to install libvirt at all. XEN runs fine without it. Only if
> you would like to manage your VMs with virt-manager, than you need to install
> it.
> If libvirt-bin was not installed, than I don't know, what has configured the
> xenbr0 bridge.
> Can you grep recursively through /etc to find the definition of xenbr0?
> The problem is, that your system seems to define xenbr0 with peth0 as network
> device. peth0 is the renamed eth0 that you also try to use in the bridge
> definition in /etc/network/interfaces. That's why after a restart of the
> networking your server looses the connection.

Christian I appreciate your attempt to help me, but your making me run
in circles and confusing me a LOT.

So if anyone else can please point me in the right direction to get a
"xenbr0" bridge setup in Debian Squeeze I would appreciate it.

Surely I can't be the only one using this combination?

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com