Re: [Xen-users] XCP GUI management

To: Outback Dingo <outbackdingo@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XCP GUI management
From: Grant McWilliams <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 18:27:47 -0700
Cc: brooks@xxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Scott Damron <sdamron@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 18:29:54 -0700
References: <CAGnmK4xpFw7rrG3j-YF5D7J0PUPSWVP6vXL1fGe=ix9q=5HW4A@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <alpine.LRH.2.02.1108171520110.22612@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <CAGnmK4yFJyPXAPGNfyn5=H=hi3R4wMCAXQzXSpiSG=LsnjJKsA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <CA+WRXa845Q_nWs52oJsJVzVjbJCP-qZieU0hao3yZjj3Xm_E=w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <CAGnmK4wV_oobRQdOQzqdnGJtTKTmapJOr-n4+tfUUduNchVSdQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <CAKYr3zxfXaLbUhj_+ec3VJuquwaXHWQ1eALm4j2WMTQf1Ev=fQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Update: I'm going to use XVP I think. After digging around I can see that I can set up users and delegate privileges in the text console. XVP so far runs exactly like it's supposed to and I haven't had to google anything outside of why I don't have a logout button in the web interface. It's a rare case to have software run correctly out of the box. I think I saw mention of a user privileges text file somewhere which would be perfect.

I will have to write some provisioning scripts to read in the Roster for the quarter and create the pools/VMs/Networks for each class/student. Then if I can script setting up access control I think I'm home free. I will still port forward to each VM so students could use straight SSH/NX if they wish but they can always fall back on the XVP Console to access their VM. Also I'm thinking of making a Moodle block to show VM status with a link to pop open a new web browser window with the XVP interface. It would be interesting to get a single sign-on between XVP and Moodle.

The XVP Console seems to work well and outside of snapshots XVP seems to do what I want.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Grant McWilliams