Re: [Xen-users] Xen - Operating System or Application

To: Christopher McCormick <christophermccormick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen - Operating System or Application
From: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 14:35:48 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 11:37:27 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:from:date :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type; bh=FHtAoY5fjGN0Ri/9m0mP+87XOaxDRXvIlBMz0j0QLIo=; b=v+g9WRexbOpgbFH/tb6RrQM8TcBFoLs0r38vk+bnCo7K8UFzHHEfJXv5HKCJ+aD3N9 6sh0Lr3y+ARp8w7TsOfn3zfS0pQXxtg35mRkUkbw7MDskYYH4z2X4rPG7aw7TYLrlIJK 0Jhrhx458Iu5T9W0Gr0UBxtOzBhGxkRgL1HEY=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Christopher McCormick
<christophermccormick@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Understanding that "The Xen hypervisor is a layer of software running
> directly on computer hardware replacing the operating system thereby
> allowing the computer hardware to run multiple guest operating systems
> concurrently." is Xen an operating system in the true sense of the term or
> is it an application that provides operating system like functionality?

Xen is most similar to a microkernel. See:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/srg/netos/papers/2005-hotos-vmm.pdf

See also Ian Pratt's XenSummit presentation regarding the intended
design of Xen and its intended use:

video:
http://vimeo.com/27655610

slides: