Re: [Xen-users] KVM vs XEN source

To: Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] KVM vs XEN source
From: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 21:38:42 -0400
Cc: "admin@xxxxxxxxxxx" <admin@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Bruno Steven <aspenbr@xxxxxxxxx>, Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Scott Damron <sdamron@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 18:40:21 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:from:date :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type; bh=vTGYgYfJqzm3PLnpwcVqArHWNtmF26h4cc3C+xbWw5Y=; b=Ap0vesp05omWCm8WoxuYLVYrR0cNrXlHq+Vsplw4/Q8cJXq/Fz+nZ6g2XRPRafQOp1 7F9pkJtwfD8jA4wB2B5cpoWcI/kxsV3KOUeBRhr/JosuNCHwNHJrDhCZI+UenzbjIMBP fXR6h+k8Z4hhLEb/jVw0EeSTcy+oS4JGSHyiQ=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> When I think of the Xen/KVM arguments I usually consider the architectural
> design issues and the features and performance of the core components
> (kernel, hypervisor).

The type-1 (stand alone) architecture that Xen has is one advantage
that makes Xen stand out. Stub domains, driver domains, and dom0
disaggregation will not be able to be achieved (at least not to the
same degree and not on top of a monolithic kernel like Linux) by a
type-2 (integrated) hypervisor like KVM.

Xen has always had the best mix of performance, isolation (both in
terms of security and performance), and scalability.

> Management tools are important, but not an
> interesting point of debate to me since one technology doesn't necessarily
> have much of an advantage over the other in that regard, and layers like
> libvirt tend to make the tools agnostic anyway.

libvirt has many limitations in comparison to the Xen API. This is
explained in detail by Ewan Mellor here:
http://wiki.openstack.org/XenAPI. At a high level, the Xen API has a
lot more functionality and is designed to for enterprise use.

--
Todd Deshane
http://www.linkedin.com/in/deshantm