[Xen-users] Re: Cannot boot with LVM inside Xen DomU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Cannot boot with LVM inside Xen DomU
From: "Oliver Wilcock" <oliver@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 13:21:09 -0400 (EDT)
Delivery-date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 10:22:24 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I wanted to echo Fajar's comments that using the installer to create a
guest with a new LVM configuration inside the virtual disk is the best
idea for you.

The idea that you could copy /dev/sda into a LV is rather suspicious.
Only an LV created on a larger device such as /dev/sdb could contain the
data in /dev/sda.  If you created the LV in a VG created on /dev/sda then
it would not fit inside itself.

Also, please understand that an LVM configuration has named volume groups
(VGs).  If you copy /dev/sda then the name of the VG which is stored in
/dev/sda would also be copied.  This means two VGs with the same name on
the same computer.  That's bad news.

It might not be apparent to you that VGs have names if you haven't created
many.  For example, the openSUSE installer defaults to a VG named system.
Each VM guest would try to create "system" and this is not such a great
idea.  I would change each to match the name of the server.