[Xen-users] Backup domU

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Backup domU
From: "Guido Hecken" <guido.hecken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 12:00:28 +0200
Delivery-date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 03:01:58 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I agree, BackupPc does a good job, once installed and correctly configured, you
can forget about it and simple let it do it's job.
:-)

IMHO, you have to break every backup scenario regardless of it is a virtualized
or a real machine, into two pieces, Disaster Recovery (DR) and normal file-
and/or databasebackup.
With BackupPc you "only" get a good filebackup solution.

While using LVM one could do snapshots in the sense of DR, and BackupPc with
some additional scripts (dump databases, stop certain services etc.).
As others already posted in this thread, there a lot's of additional options,
one could use to achieve the goal of a perfect backupsolution.

Perhaps, in question of DR also have a look at Rear
http://rear.sourceforge.net/.
If money or perhaps "disposition" is no object, look at the commercial acronis
backup&recovery solutions.

---
Guido