Re: [Xen-users] Optimizing Win7 64bit on Xen 3.0.3/CentOS 5.6

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Optimizing Win7 64bit on Xen 3.0.3/CentOS 5.6
From: Flako <subforos@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 12:30:45 -0300
Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 08:32:33 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=Tstpk7ESVaId7grwnNQKMuEgC25JiqHgneOJoPv8iAs=; b=JBq017nAe/PBYmdBC8amc6Yls9gv/m1nA2HbjbKW2qo672S8TCZWJ2JEGGc2+nZR+u reSyyrmMMQVUGDCd/e6aqoA/7FMZuqLKLgb3YuxuDcDI2TaGFHjfjmyNBcKAfoc+qPZq 2OfBvhoCW3FXjylM9A2WBMEKjS5pl8HAS2nmY=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2011/7/7 Digimer <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi all,
>
>  I've got a Windows 7 Enterprise, 64bit VM running on a stock CentOS 5.6
> x86_64 dom0 (3.0.3 RPMs). I noticed that 'win7' was not an option in
> virt-install, so I only set the os type to 'windows'.
>
>  The (other) Linux VMs (another CentOS 5.6 x86_64) is snappy and fast, but
> the Windows 7 VM is sluggish. Is there any advice on "optimizing" the
> Windows VM (either in dom0 or in the VM itself)?
>
> Thanks for any advice!
>
> --
> Digimer
> E-Mail:              digimer@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Freenode handle:     digimer
> Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
> Node Assassin:       http://nodeassassin.org
> "I feel confined, only free to expand myself within boundaries."

Hello Digima
Besides the obvious, install the windowsgplpv
I've noticed also the documentation is very sparse in post forums ..

For CPU performance issues you can read on sched-credit.
On disk performance I have not found clear doc .. so you see the
driver blktap2, but access via phy should be faster.
I do not now what the best parameters for disk option.
In an email he sent James Harper (is safe to compile and install the
gplpv (changeset 939) for production?) Says that the driver for Vista
+ is testing yet, maybe later have better performance.

Your percentage loss that you got Windows on a DomU?
I 2003R2 32bit Windows and 64bit linux, I lose 50% of performance in
hard disk with respect to a native windows.

Flako
If you do not understand English, do not claim to google translate, he
does miracles with my bad Spanish:)