[Xen-users] Re: Xen pci device #0

To: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Xen pci device #0
From: Liwei <xieliwei@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 15:29:39 +0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 00:32:20 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 30 June 2011 14:57, James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Are you passing through any pci devices? The main driver (xenpci -
> although it is nothing to do with pci passthrough) creates a device node
> for everything under the devices key in xenstore and so it creates a
> node for a pci passthrough device even though there is no driver for it.

Nope I'm only testing PV drivers on this VM, xl pci-list domU gives me
an empty table:

# xl pci-list XenPVXP
Vdev Device
#

> I don't think that is normal. I see activity on my systems when using
> xentop.

Just to confirm, am I supposed to change anything in the VM
configuration? Even on ioemu, the emulated NIC was hidden and the
XenNet device loaded instead, so I assumed everything else would
behave similarly.

Just did a quick check by changing the lines to:
vif = [ 'type=netfront, bridge=xenbr0' ]
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/mapper/VMStore-XPPV,xvdb,w', 'file:/XPSP3.iso,xvda:cdrom,r' ]

Still the same, xentop reports activity for the network device but not
the block device:
      NAME  STATE   CPU(sec) CPU(%)     MEM(k) MEM(%)  MAXMEM(k)
MAXMEM(%) VCPUS NETS NETTX(k) NETRX(k) VBDS   VBD_OO   VBD_RD   VBD_WR
 VBD_RSECT  VBD_WSECT SSID
   XenPVXP ------        113   77.6    1038180    6.2    1049600
6.3     2    1      198        3    0        0        0        0
   0          0          0

This appears in the QEMU log:
Using xvdb for guest's hdb
Strip off blktap sub-type prefix to /dev/mapper/VMStore-XPPV (drv 'aio')
Using file /dev/mapper/VMStore-XPPV in read-write mode
Using xvda for guest's hda
Strip off blktap sub-type prefix to /XPSP3.iso (drv 'aio')
Using file /XPSP3.iso in read-only mode

> Definitely sounds like something is wrong there... are you running the
> debug build of the drivers? If so, things are logged to
> /var/log/xen/qemu-dm-<domu name>.log. If too much is logged then qemu
> tends to throttle the domu which could do things like you describe.
>
> Have a look in the /var/log/xen/qemu-dm-<domu name>.log file and see if
> it is getting a lot of information logged to it.

Not running the debug version. But these lines in the log file are suspect:

Unknown PV product 2 loaded in guest
PV driver build 1
xen be: qdisk-51728: xen be: qdisk-51728: error: unknown operation (255)