[Xen-users] Re: Working with Fedora 15 & systemd

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jurgen baier <jurgendarwin@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Working with Fedora 15 & systemd
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 04:08:33 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 01:11:33 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=bellsouth.net; s=s1024; t=1309162120; bh=KM2cgTVmH0mATck6uM7Zy4BBze8vZzRZ3556NpSogz0=; h=Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:From:To:Subject:Date:User-Agent:References:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:Message-Id; b=okoosjC+eRgsPwyri7R+FfpSmMzICsa+/+5hdvVXE9miphSxTiVid+/tVYIgdGvW8l+Mks6IVGpBuiAaxiuMj7m0b8Opvr6nkiMQVeuUUxHNgOt49EdPbVmUVHE4btgoBY7dleAVS0bljFbDpXouZow6pmArbkWqjV/N3J47JWc=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Sun June 26 2011 10:50:42 PM Jurgen Baier wrote:
> Hi Jim, sorry to bother you - I am experiencing this exact issue, have you
> managed to resolve the issue?
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/xen/users/209239
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1489624#post1489624
>
> Many Thanks
> Jurgen

I've been working with Fedora rawhide's 3.0.0. The first one I tried (rc2)
didn't boot at all. The changelog from rc3 said it had a mismatch between the
kernel and libdm, resulting in rc2's boot stopping after failing to init my
lvm root. I'm currently on rc4. It boots just fine, even into the desktop (no
'3' at the end of the kernel 'module' line in grub.conf, like with 2.6.38).

Both 3.0.0 and myoung's 2.6.32 can start a pv guest just fine, tho' the disk=
syntax is slightly different between the two. 2.6.32 loads blktap.ko,
providing blktap2 service. Interestingly, "tap2:aio:" works just fine, but
"tap:tapdisk:aio:" does not. See http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/blktap2 .
3.0.0 does not provide blktap.ko at all, so I have to revert to the old
"file:" syntax.

Both 3.0.0 and 2.6.32 result in the process blktapctrl not running. With
3.0.0, with no blktap.ko, I get the expected error msgs in syslog about not
finding the device. With 2.6.32, it just silently starts and exits. As I said,
blktap2 syntax works just fine in my pv guest, so I suspect this is just the
way xen 4.1 works.

The situation with my hvm guest is a little different, tho', since I use
iscsi, and hence my disk= statement uses "dev:". Both 3.0.0 and 2.6.32 refuse
to startup the hvm guest the same way - the "console-0: xen-be" error.
additionally, /var/log/xen/console/hypervisor complains:

(XEN) io.c:194:d5 MMIO emulation failed @ 0018:9ffff: 00 20 2d 7f 00 83

Sometimes 'd5' above is replaced with 'd4'. I doubt the iscsi dev: is the
problem, tho', since when vncviewer attempts to come up, all I get is a blank
white screen, then it exits. I never get any bochs bios messages or errors.

As a side note, 3.0.0 is not happy with rsyslog; 2.6.32 is not happy without
it. It suffices to go back between the two with 'chkconfig rsyslog on', or
'chkconfig rsyslog off'. With the latter, systemd automatically starts up it's
own logging, if rsyslogd is not called for.

Good luck to anyone else trying to get this to work.