Re: [Xen-users] [XCP] XCP network and VLAN by Open vSwitch

To: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] [XCP] XCP network and VLAN by Open vSwitch
From: Wei-Chih Chen <wcchen.tw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 09:53:05 +0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 18:54:47 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date :message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type; bh=tMhA5i7gllk4Iu9Hqas7VLuVAg4UB0HTSZ74Dlf60F4=; b=GDAYPvUM0mvWEZkz+Wa9w8YZcSlxYAjerVK7Zaq56IUKfCli/OZfJbqzrBey2s7lNU vlggnhkYcTM1rbKUkxcUxM0D4N7kXkzBmePSyQ9RiXt0LYfroZygpMi2i2T36/1Q2E36 vnMGodep/gy2QsfQ28hPRNozB1VKDxTDYu06E=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 8:08 AM, Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 6:13 AM, Wei-Chih Chen (陳偉志)
<wcchen.tw@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am new with XCP.
> I've setup several hosts with XCP 1.0 and manage it through XenCenter and
> command console.
> Each host has two NICs, one (xenbr0) connected to a physical switch for
> Internet (said sw1), the other (xenbr3) connected to a physical switch for
> internal network (said sw2).
>
> I am trying to setup VMs and VLANs on xenbr3.
> I created a virtual bridge by "ovs-vsctl add-br brvlan2 xenbr3 2"
> Then add a port (portvlan2) to brvlan2:
>      ovs-vsctl add-port brvlan2 portvlan2 tag=2
>      ifconfig vlan2 192.168.33.200
> Now the problem is that I do know how to attach portvlan2 to VM.
> Could someone give me simple steps to setup VLANs using Open vSwitch and
> attach them to VMs?
>
> Moreover, the newly created bridges are not shown in XenCenter.
> If I use xe network-create, the newly created network can be shown in
> XenCenter.
> Is this because XenCenter uses xe command and does NOT support to show Open
> vSwitch?
> The question I wonder most is what is the difference to configure XCP
> network using xe and ovs- commands?

You are going to want to use the xe commands related to networking.

See http://docs.vmd.citrix.com/XenServer/5.6.0fp1/1.0/en_gb/reference.html#networking-concepts

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Todd

> Thanks a lot. :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Wayne

Todd Deshane
http://www.linkedin.com/in/deshantm
http://www.xen.org/products/cloudxen.html
http://runningxen.com/

Thank you, Todd.
The document helps a lot for XenServer network concepts and xe command control.

However, I would like to try Open vSwitch because it supports more features like OpenFlow, NetFlow.
It is possible for me to use these features in the future.
Is it able to use full features of Open vSwitch in XCP 1.0?
Or XCP has not included and combined Open vSwitch completely, and it is not suggested to use Open vSwitch in XCP 1.0?

Thanks.

Regards,

Wayne