Re: [Xen-users] Xen 4.0 Bridged Networking MAC Rewrite?

Please keep replies to the list as well.

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 2:19 PM, Andrew Sorensen <andrewx192@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Is it possible to rewrite the MAC address on Dom0 to a MAC address that the
>> > ISP would assign an IP too (I'm assuming it's rejecting the XEN MAC at this
>> > point)?
>>
>> Why don't you just change mac setting on domU's config file (the vif line)?
>>
>> The closest thing to MAC rewrite in domU is either ebtables nat or
>> proxy arp, both are standard Linux mechanism (e.g. not xen-specific)
>> and are more complex compared to just editing domU's config file.
>>
> I already tried changing the MAC address in the vif line, but did not
> have any better results.

Then changing it to some other mac won't work either.

> I also read that the mac address specified in a
> vif line must start with the XEN prefix, so I figured it was bad
> practice.

Where is that written? You should be able to put any mac you want
(well, any mac valid for a NIC anyway), so you could impersonate (e.g)
a Cisco router if you want.

The recommendation to use xen prefix is more of a best-practice to
prefent mac address conflict.

At this point I highly suggest you ask your ISP. Probably they only
allow one IP address on that port. If they don't know, then I guess
the best option would be to look at ebtables.

--
Fajar