Re: [Xen-users] XCP bandwidth management

To: Alexandre Bezroutchko <abb@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XCP bandwidth management
From: Peter Phaal <peter.phaal@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 11:30:37 -0700
Cc: "msgbox450@xxxxxxxxx" <msgbox450@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 05 Jun 2011 11:31:54 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=OAA23VOlBiMsZ1Pht1Om6kVTDs86w8VqREjT5ye9Q34=; b=q9hU/8EkhPsEBYZSfeFziApgiD40I5WOZY8ubaZu2sYDaBN1gNoGw2w0qCP6JR9D0u JwKHMWZjFSagqcRRmY5luzxgIAeXQaTHwLxAoDO2kzbvE+U5GIOKqMSRzIPtS3OS7m4D eyMfXOpJFwMzDYa3H79H3sok8YiLXGM5kzRlA=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 4:57 AM, Alexandre Bezroutchko <abb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Another aspect of problem #3 is how to transfer the policy from sFlow domU
> to dom0. I would do it by publishing desired policy on sFlow domU. It can be
> a simple as putting a plain text file on HTTP server, or maybe having LDAP
> server on sFlow domU, if it is justified. Then a cron job in dom0 would poll
> the desired policy from sFlow domU and reconfigure vswitch accordingly.
> Alternatively, one can push the config from sFlow domU into dom0 over native
> vSwitch API, but I feel it is less preferable from security point of view. I
> would prefer to keep my dom0 shut, even from trusted systems I own.

The sFlow instrumentation is in dom0 (it's part of the the Open
vSwitch). Traffic to every virtual machine is visible from dom0 so
there is no need to install sFlow agents in the virtual machines. The
quota controller should be on the management network so it can receive
sFlow from dom0 and implement vSwitch configuration changes in dom0.
To maintain security, entire system should be part of the control
plane and avoid direct interactions with the domUs that are being
managed.

It might also be interesting to look at managing domU CPU quotas as
well as bandwidth quotas:
http://blog.sflow.com/2011/06/resource-allocation.html

sFlow can be installed in the domUs, but this is only necessary if you
are operating in a public cloud where you don't have access to dom0:
http://blog.sflow.com/2010/12/visibility-in-cloud.html
http://blog.sflow.com/2011/01/rackspace-cloudservers.html

As a cloud customer the controls would be a bit different, you might
use the data to decide how many VMs to run etc.

Cheers,
Peter