Re: [Xen-users] kernel-2.6.39

To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] kernel-2.6.39
From: Permjacov Evgeniy <permeakra@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 02:31:21 +0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 15:34:38 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to :cc:subject:references:in-reply-to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=WfZ/cnWyrU80vPTh1f6WOOyIK7nvgbcKm8Lzpx9x/o8=; b=dS43E3eOlNVu5c3KiAXVp6T7uJ4RQ0Rf7rq+yPZS+wETdWI/Y9hmnjzVjo2Kn/mLmH 03sSl2EnweviAZyCf5xs05j/fK4BmCWDWKjSAcuXNYio8/NZw6BSOqY7+gpr4Oi5bw00 LlIGrXmWv9j/y3oE4MiuQkhu2mKbzsaFePl3U=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
First, thanks a lot for your answer!
On 06/03/11 02:02, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 10:36 PM, Permjacov Evgeniy <permeakra@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> When I studied features lists and sources, I found, that 2.6.39 upstream
>> kernel does not support xen block backend driver yet. However, vanilla
>> 2.6.39 DOES start under xen-4.1 with several minor drawback (console
>> does not work but Xserver does, network, sound and discs works properly,
>> even nvidia binary drivers works well) and such system CAN start guests,
>> BUT I cannot pass any device to guest system (no disks detected by
>> debian installer).
>>
>> 1) Is there some workaround, i. e. is passing block device into VM still
>> possible and how? May be I missed something...
>> 2)If not, where I can take sources, based on most recent kernel? (I want
>> to have access to some new kernel features). My box runs gentoo linux,
>> so genkernel-compatible sources are preferable (i.e. ones that produce
>> bzImage and are present in some overlay). xen-sources are too old, sorry.
> There are some ways to approach this.
>
> First approach, if you simply want virtualization and use it on a
> PC/notebook, I actually recommend NOT to use Xen. Better use
> virtualbox instead, as it is less invasive to the host OS.

I need to learn some about xen, but I do not want to destroy my home
system. Also, I wish to run some personal sites in domU's. This leads to
some, errgh, odd requests. Yep, I already tested virtualbox and linux
containers, both works well (lxc is some tricky however)
> Second approach, if you run it on a server and don't need Xen-specific
> or newer features, usually using latest Centos5 + bundled Xen 3.x is
> much easier to manage. Or even use Vmware ESXi.

This looks interesting. I should check it for work. I have to say,
debian squeeze just works as well.
> Third approach, see
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git;a=summary .
> When you say "too old" I don't know if you're talking about the old
> 2.6.18-based tree or the newer 2.6.32-pv_ops tree. If 2.6.32 can work,
> this might be best for you as it has been considered stable enough.

there is xen-sources-2.6.32 in gentoo portage. Sorry, it is too old.
Some my hardware got support recently, and I simply do not trust 2.6.32
support for it.
> Last approach, there was a post on xen-devel several days ago saying
> that the block backend driver went in for Linux 3.0-rc1, so you might
> want to try that. Or if you're feeling even more adventurous, see
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/konrad/xen.git

Looks like this is the best. I'll check it.

Thanks a lot again!