Re: Improving XCP [was Re: [Xen-users] XCP: Insecure Distro ?]

Hi

I agree strongly with this sentiment of "the documentation sucks".

Recently I have been doing my best and answer questions on the lists
and further my engagement in the Xen community and the next logical
step for me is to tackle the seemingly impossible task of
documentation. I think this applies more globally to Xen than to XCP -
none of the Xen.org projects are adaquately documented at this point
in time. Both user documentation and developer documentation is very
sketchy at the best of times, and what is there is usually quite
out-dated or is the left overs of a half baked research project that
was never integrated into the Xen mainline tree. It doesn't help that
the Xen community praises configuration over convention (not saying
this is a bad thing) as it makes documentation very difficult - mainly
because we advocate customizability over set configurations.
Documentation (for new users atleast) will be considerably easier when
dom0 kernels return to being available in most distributions.

On the hardening front I don't think any further hardening is required
if XCP is used exclusively as a virtualization appliance. If there is
no shell access other than physical maintance and all authentication
and authorization is handled via APIs that don't have the breadth of a
shell then attack vectors are minimal to start with. Though the kind
of hardening I would recommend is far from what was suggested in the
Multi-user style hardening of the root account, filesystem and config
files etc is not required. As partitioning the deamons up into
seperate users and groups is mostly superficial. As ultimately deamons
will have VMM access and thus compromising the dom0 OS isn't required
for most attacks to be considered effective. However it does have some
merit by being able to restrict the impact of a vuln in one deamon
from compromising other deamons.

I think at some point in time XCP will need to have a focus session
where these points can be discussed and a conclusion reached on what
lengths the XCP developers are willing to go to further harden XCP
without hindering feature and stability development.

Joseph.

Kind regards,
Joseph.
Founder | Director