Re: [Xen-users] DRBD, Xen, HVM and live migration

To: Bart Coninckx <bart.coninckx@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] DRBD, Xen, HVM and live migration
From: Joseph Glanville <joseph.glanville@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 14:09:07 +1000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 10 May 2011 21:11:01 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Using the DRBD VBD backend over simply using PHY has one main advantage.

If you are using drbd: you don't need to have the system contstantly
in dual-primary mode, which can cause data corruption and increases
the chances of a split brain event occuring in a network segregation
senario.
If you are fine using allow-dual-primary and become-primary-on: both
then it no longer makes any difference.

Joseph.

On 11 May 2011 01:05, Bart Coninckx <bart.coninckx@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to combine all the above mentioned technologies.
>
> The Linbit pages warn not to use the drbd: VBD with HVM DomUs.
>
> This page however:
>
> http://publications.jbfavre.org/virtualisation/cluster-xen-corosync-pacemaker-drbd-ocfs2.en
>
> (thank you Jean), simply puts two DRBD devices in dual primary mode and
> starts Xen DomUs while pointing to the DRBD devices with phy: in the DomU
> config files.
> Live migration and HVM seem possible.
>
> Is it as simple as Jean describes it? What is the advantage then of the
> drbd: VBD? Just seeing to it that the dual primary is available?
>

> Thx!
>

> B.

Kind regards,
Joseph.