Re: [Xen-users] Shared Storage

To: Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Shared Storage
From: Jonathan Dye <jdye@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 14:01:26 -0600 (MDT)
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Bart Coninckx <bart.coninckx@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 13:03:26 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
So, linux storage servers then.  If I might interject again I would suggest you
try nexenta or solaris 11 express.  If not, try a NAS appliance like FreeNAS or
Openfiler - one of the linux based ones is likely to have done a better job
than you will attempting to reproduce it.  If you're brave try clustered
storage with Ceph since that's the way everything is headed anyways (i.e. the
way of isilon, luster, GPFS and the like).  After all reasonable options fail,
roll your own with LVM.  IMO, making a storage server out of linux is inferior
because the volume management, filesystem, and raid are stratified instead of
engineered together.  If you use any modern solaris kernel based distribution,
like the ones named above, and ZFS then I think you'll find that it can fill
your network connection with storage traffic without tweaking.  The downside is
you have to be careful about hardware selection.

- Jonathan