[Xen-users] Time sync issues with Windows guests

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Time sync issues with Windows guests
From: Daniel <dandadude@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 07:40:26 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 22:42:18 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi!

I have always had problems with the time of my Windows guests, but I didn't really care about it, because I ran time syncronization software after boot, and everything became normal.
Recently we switched to virtualized Active Directory Controllers which makes this an even bigger problem, because time syncrhonization is very important there, and it should be precise right at boot time also.

The timezone is CET (UTC+1), on the Linux host /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Budapest is copied over /etc/localtime.

When there is no DST (Daylight Savings Time), I need the following settings for the Windoes guest to have the same time as the host:
----
rtc_timeoffset=-7200
viridian=1
----
Now when DST came in, I need the following (notice the -7200 vs 7200):
----
rtc_timeoffset=7200
viridian=1
----

Since I didn't  know the last one, I have restarted my DC, and there where many errors in the event log.

On Linux currently I get:
[root@dom0 ~]# date
Sat Apr 16 07:38:02 CEST 2011
[root@dom0 ~]# date -u
Sat Apr 16 05:38:03 UTC 2011
[root@xen0dom0 ~]# hwclock
Sat 16 Apr 2011 07:38:04 AM CEST  -0.535824 seconds

Any idea how I can make this work correctly?

Thanks,
Daniel