Re: [Xen-users] Re: Debian Squeeze, xen, multipath and iscsi

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: Debian Squeeze, xen, multipath and iscsi
From: Davide Vaghetti <davide.vaghetti@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 13:24:00 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 04:24:10 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 04/06/2011 10:55 AM, Henrik Langos wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 12:08:37AM -0700, davide.vaghetti@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had the very same problem. After getting almost mad trying to fix the
>> issue mixing different combination of boot option I followed the advice of
>> Henrik: let the multipath be completely loaded __before__ the iscsi daemon.
>> That is, don't let the open-iscsi be loaded at boot time, or at least remove
>> it from the relevant runlevel and load via rc.local. In my environment that
>> fixed the issue (the latest kernel update from Debian do not make any
>> difference).
>
> Hi Davide,
>
> I had to reboot my Xen host recently and upon iSCSI login I repeatedly ran
> into that same problem. I don't do any automatic iSCSI logins during boot
> and I don't start any Xen guest on boot. So the system _was_ completely up
> and idle. Still everytime I did the iscsi login (which currently logs in
> to 12 volumes via 2 paths each) I ended up with a CPUs stuck for a minute
> or something plainly wrong like this:

Too bad!

And well... I had the same problems. Lately, I restarted a node of my
xen cluster (Pacemaker/Corosync), and despite having disabled iscsi at
boot, one of the CPU stucked on multipath. In the end, I removed even
multipath (boot -tools and tools-boot) from the startup, and now it
works. To make the iscsi/multipath combination works I have to start the
multipath __after__ iscsi (and, obviously, after Xen is fully started
up). The good news is that it seems stable.

Let's make a deal, the first to come up to a better solution will let
the other know!

bye and thanks for sharing
davide
- --
Dott. Davide Vaghetti
Centro Servizi Informatici Facolta' di Ingegneria
Universita' di Pisa
PGP:
http://keys.keysigning.org:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x7A1B3BA18C4E0A4D