[Xen-users] XCP and Openfiler as the storage

To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] XCP and Openfiler as the storage
From: Eduardo Bragatto <eduardo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 11:45:51 -0300
Delivery-date: Sat, 02 Apr 2011 07:47:17 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I have been using Xen under CentOS and Openfiler as the storage for a while now, however with the release of RHEL6 without support for Xen and with the release of XCP 1.0, I have the impression it's time to move away from CentOS and give XCP a try.

My greatest doubt is about LVM. Openfiler handles an entire RAID10 volume which is exported as smaller volumes created through LVM via iSCSI. However, XCP also uses LVM to manage snapshots and such.

I believe if I start using XCP with my current storage server (Openfiler), I will end up with two layers of LVM -- first a volume on Openfiler which is exported via iSCSI, and then a new LVM layer created on top of the LUN I will import via iSCSI on XCP.

How bad (performance-wise) would be to have two layers of LVM? Would it be too complicated to maintain? (I imagine it would be as simple as dealing with the same thing twice, but there's also XCP handling LVM, so I'm not sure how that would work out).

Does anyone here has similar experiences they can share?

I know Openfiler does not have an API for integration with other appliances, so I believe XCP would not be able to create and manipulate the LVM directly on the Openfiler storage in order to avoid the two layers on top of each other. Does anyone if that kind of integration is doable, or even possible?

Best regards,
Eduardo Bragatto