RE: [Xen-users] Windows XP BSD on Xen 3.2-1 after Windows Update: GPLPV

To: <jan.bakuwel@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Windows XP BSD on Xen 3.2-1 after Windows Update: GPLPV issue?
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 11:03:47 +1100
Delivery-date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 17:05:36 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2009-11/msg00738.html

> This VM has been running fine for at least half a year. When I restore
> an old image backup, I can boot it and it runs. However once I've
> installed the latest Microsoft updates, it crashes with a BSD upon
boot.
> It's using the 213 GPL PV drivers. Uninstalling the GPL PV drivers
> causes it to hang; installing a newer version (238) on top of the
> installed drivers causes it to hang too.
>
> I've checked boot.ini, that all looks good.
>
> Any ideas?

When you say "uninstalling the GPLPV drivers causes it to hang", do you
mean that if you uninstall the drivers completely, reboot, then install
the update you still get a crash?

Do you know which update is causing you the problem?

If the hal.dll is corrupt it would have to be before GPLPV is loaded,
which I think means that your filesystem has been corrupted prior to
rebooting.

I have an XP test machine, so if you can tell me which update you
install that causes this crash I can try and reproduce it.

Thanks

James