Re: [Xen-users] 1 host, 1 nick, 1 regular bridge, 1 local bridge, 5 vm

To: John Rounds <vannion@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] 1 host, 1 nick, 1 regular bridge, 1 local bridge, 5 vm
From: Carlos <cechevarne@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 12:25:42 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 04:27:11 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=VYcyWzWLWKL8Zu+CvIlWB8ONm4FvIRZiwf70rDLSfgQ=; b=UEMCpdmKrTaJxucUDbYcfhyg4XP/PMKZQNcrIdYtpjf5vz0ItFRTRS3FlACQn2Z4Uc 0lvlQxbKyY54XsM2jPe2mupHs0k9bOGLrycXgdGoPnPhgJlIxR2C+QTl+7CGE0Gk789n BaeqgwLB8BPgl1x4jLKvQRtFFJzAaScjR9wi4=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Debian/Ubuntu /etc/network/interfaces config to setup dom0 internal network interface(bridge dummy).

Load kernel module.

modprobe dummy

/etc/network/interfaces

auto dummy0
iface dummy0 inet manual
        pre-up ifconfig $IFACE up
        post-down ifconfig $IFACE down

auto lan-xen-ofi
iface lan-xen-ofi inet manual
        bridge_ports dummy0
        bridge_maxwait 0
        bridge_stp off

2011/3/22 John Rounds <vannion@xxxxxxxxx>
I think this might be the answer I needed Todd,   Going to give it a try soon.

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 8:36 AM, Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 5:35 PM, Simon Hobson <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> John Rounds wrote:
>>
>> So Working on CEntOS 5  I am trying to sett up Xen with 2 bridges, one
>> that connects dom0 and most of the domU to the physical card and the out to
>> the network.  Got that figured out no problem, now i want to have a second
>> bridge that runs a local network for all the doms that doesn't connect to
>> the network.
>>
>> With code I have found used in multiple places I can easily get 2 bridges,
>> and have all the Domu connected to it but i can't get Dom 0 to have an
>> interface.
>>
>> Script to set up bridges called fine from xend-config.sxp
>>
>> ]# cat multiple-bridge
>> #!/bin/sh
>> dir=$(dirname "$0")
>> "$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=0 netdev=eth0 bridge=xenbr0
>> "$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=2 netdev=dummy bridge=xenbrloc1
>
> I'd suggest you setup the local bridge manually - not in Xen.

Good suggestion. We have documentation and notes on this, since this
is the way Xen 4.1+ will work.

See:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/HostConfiguration/Networking
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/MigrationGuideToXen4.1%2B

Thanks,
Todd

> Is this Debian ? If so then you can put something like this in
> /etc/network/interfaces - check the syntax, I'm typing this from memory :
>
> auto xenbrloc1
> xenbrloc1 inet static
>  ip address a.b.c.d
>  netmask w.x.y.z
>  pre-up brctl addbr xenbrloc1
>  post-down brctl delbr xenbrloc1
>
> I think this should work for you. What happens is that when the I/F is
> brought up, the bridge is created first (pre-up), and then the IP addr is
> added to it. The bridge is automatically deleted if the I/F is taken down.
>
> For other distros you'll need to adapt as required.
>
> --
> Simon Hobson
>
> Visit http://www.magpiesnestpublishing.co.uk/ for books by acclaimed
> author Gladys Hobson. Novels - poetry - short stories - ideal as
> Christmas stocking fillers. Some available as e-books.

Todd Deshane
http://www.linkedin.com/in/deshantm
http://www.xen.org/products/cloudxen.html