Re: [Xen-users] how many vcpu's can be allocated by Core in a Xen Host ?

To: Rogelio Bazan <rogbazan@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] how many vcpu's can be allocated by Core in a Xen Host ?
From: Freddie Cash <fjwcash@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 10:37:59 -0800
Cc: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 10:41:52 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=zYbgdz7mIQmmPPqeHoYkOkkcsH4Bxo+ufDDq3IO4AZE=; b=wZdN0lhYItMAYT53VNlg1t6QnGGXZp5SaFOw8ftBXy/KEdyeGXs0En+sFC2i3E+MQK J+kkUk5DDGNCzggWMvNriw9HEiIiF/COuf6vOopI7r85tsLG3++ZNwpoCLBpCM+A+9JI +F5xmPsPitbabbzQPwddZMDs6v5NzDb+ocrco=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Rogelio Bazan <rogbazan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> if my Xen host has 16 cpus (Cores), how many vcpu's can be assigned to my
> xen guests?

As many as you want.  :)  It all depends on the CPU workload of your VMs.

If you have a workload that uses very little CPU, you can create a
couple hundred VMs each with 1 vcpu.

If you have a workload that uses a lot of CPU, you may be limited to
16 VMs each with 1 vcpu.

If you have a workload that's in the middle, then you can create a
bunch of VMs as needed.

Basically, monitor your CPU usage, and keep creating VMs as you have
resources to support them.  :)

For example, we have an older Xen 3.x box with 2 physical CPUs running
4 VMs with a total of 5 vcpus.  And another 2 CPU box wunning 7 VMs
with a total of 8 vcpus.  And we have a couple of KVM boxes with 4
CPUs running 8-10 VMs each with 1 vcpu.

It all depends on your workload.

--
Freddie Cash