RE: [Xen-users] Slow windows network with gplpv driver.

To: "John Weekes" <lists.xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Slow windows network with gplpv driver.
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 19:37:40 +1100
Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 00:39:03 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> The MAC in question started with the QEMU first bytes. It looked
something
> like this, but with a different last three bytes:
>
> 52:54:00:68:0C:E5
>
> Would anything in those last three bytes cause an issue?
>
> Since then, I have switched to using Xen MACs (starting with
00:16:3E), though
> I don't know if this will matter.

The bits that matter are the lower 2 bits of the first byte. Bit 0
indicates a unicast (0) or multicast (1) address. Bit 1 indicates a
globally unique (0) or a locally administered (1) address. Your value of
52 is a unicast locally administered address, and appears fine. Your
00:16:3E address is also okay, but if it's an address you are making up
and controlling yourself you might want to set the locally administered
bit.

Wikipedia is probably a good starting point -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_address

James